This view shows Adeline Street at Ashby in 1946, when Key System streetcars still ran on Adeline and connected to Shattuck Avenue. Click here for the Google Street View of the same intersection today.
Interstate 80 will be closed in both directions from 11 p.m. Aug. 20 to 7 a.m. Aug. 21 for work on the San Pablo Dam Road interchange improvement project.
Temporary detours will be in effect (see the detour map above).
“Now that the roadway deck has been poured for a new pedestrian overcrossing at Riverside
Avenue, which will replace the current overcrossing, these closures will enable crews to remove
the falsework (support structures) that were previously constructed. When complete
later this year, the new overcrossing will extend across Amador Street, enhancing safety for
Riverside Elementary School students and the community.”
Motorists should follow instructions posted on all on-site signage during the closure.
For more details on the closure and the project visit www.ccta.net/sanpablodamroad or call the project hotline at 510-277-0444. Construction updates will be available on Twitter at @i80spdr.
Berkeley artist Tyler Hoare will give a talk and show a selection of his sculptures at a free program at 4 p.m. Aug. 14 in the Fabrefaction Gallery at the Compound Gallery, 1145 and 1167 65 St. in Oakland.
Join us for an Artist Talk with Tyler on Sunday, August 14th at 4pm sharp. Snacks and libations will be served 3-6pm. The talk is free and open to the public.
The Compound Gallery is pleased to announce an exhibition featuring the work of the esteemed Emeryville mudflat artist, Tyler James Hoare. A collection of masks, sculptures, and historical documentation will be exhibited in our more intimate Fabrefaction Gallery located at 1145 65th st. Oakland, CA. This show is in conjunction with our show Laserbeam Technomania in our Main Gallery next door. Gallery Hours will be Wed-Sun 12-7pm (please go to our Main Gallery at 1167 for entry).
Missouri-born Hoare has been placing sculptures along the Emeryville and Berkeley shoreline for more than half his life. He moved to Berkeley in the 1960s, and was driving past the remains of a pier in 1975 when his artistic muse struck. –SFGate.com
b. 1940. Sculptor and printmaker, Born in Joplin Mo. attended the University of Colorado, the Sculpture Center in New York, the University of Kansas (BFA 1963), and CCAC. He assembled figures in often humorous combinations of found and tooled objects, primarily of wood, coupling a basically cubist style with overtones of Surrealism. Some of Hoare’s pieces occupied the anonymous, grassroots sculpture garden that began to flourish in the mid-1960’s on the mudflats of Emeryville. In the 1970’s he was one of the earliest Bay Area artists to experiment with color xerox as a medium for printmaking. -From Art in The San Francisco Bay Area 1945-1980 by Thomas Albright.
The Richmond Police Department invites the community to Chill with a Cop from 11am to 1pm Aug. 13 at the Community Green Space downtown at Harbour Way and Macdonald Avenue.
“No agenda, just a delicious scoop of free ice cream (while supplies last) and great conversation with your neighborhood beat officers.”
Beat officers will have crime prevention tips and there will even be free books to take home.
“Already have plans to go to the Rosie Rally? Do that first, then come downtown to celebrate, treat yourself, and Chill with a Cop,” say organizers.
The event is sponsored by Richmond Main Street Initiative, the Richmond Police Department and Lappert’s Ice Cream.
For more details call 510-236-4049 email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.RichmondMainStreet.org.
The late Dick Dobbins, a Berkeley native and later a high school principal in Contra Costa who died in 1999, was among the foremost collectors and compilers of artifacts from the golden age of baseball’s Pacific Coast League from 1903 until the arrival of Major League Baseball on the West Coast in 1958.
Dobbins, then attending Berkeley High School, rescued records, trophies and other items of the Oakland Oaks after the team departed and its Emeryville ballpark was being torn down in 1956. It became a lifelong passion for Dobbins, and that love is carried on at an annual event named in his honor.
The 22nd annual Northern California Dick Dobbins PCL Player and Family Reunion will be held 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Aug. 20 at Ryan O’Connell Hall, 575 West Estudillo Ave. at San Leandro Boulevard in San Leandro.
The day always includes players and PCL enthusiasts and a program about the history of a league that was good enough that many considered it “the third major league” at its height.
Admission is $25 with lunch (RSVP by Aug. 15) or $8 without.
To reserve a seat send a check made out to PCLHS to PCLHS, 420 Robinson Circle, Placentia, CA 92870. Or call Mark Macrae at 510-538-6245 for more details.
Richmond became a city on Aug. 7 1905 and turns 111 today. Here are some images of the city’s early years and an Oakland Tribune account about the death of Richmond pioneer John Nicholl on July 29, 1914.
Here is a quick summation of Richmond’s early years from the city website:
Early Industry (1895-1901)
In 1895, Augustin S. Macdonald visited Point Richmond and conceived the idea of a transcontinental rail terminal and ferry service to provide a direct route from Richmond to San Francisco. Macdonald presented his idea to the Santa Fe Railroad and in 1899 the railroad established its western terminus in Point Richmond. The first overland passenger train arrived in Richmond from Chicago in 1900. In 1901, Santa Fe moved its shops to Richmond and the Standard Oil Company built its refinery.
Industrial Growth 1900-1940
When Richmond incorporated as a city in 1905 it had a population of 2,150 and was already an established industrial town. The city charter was adopted in 1909, and by 1910 the town numbered 7,500. Within a few years the following substantial industries locate to Richmond: Winehaven, Pullman Palace Car Shops, American Radiator, Standard Sanitary Company, Stauffer Chemical Company, and several others less well known. Town sites began to emerge around these industries, as Rancho San Pablo’s vast grain fields were subdivided into uniform city lots.
Read a first-hand account of the city’s early years by Henry Colman Cutting, who has a boulevard named in his honor, by clicking here.
The original El Cerrito Plaza shopping center was dedicated this month 58 years ago.
The opening came two years after an arson fire destroyed the historic Castro adobe on the site that allowed construction of the shopping center to begin.
Here, through the courtesy of the El Cerrito Chamber of Commerce, are views of the center’s dedication on July 9, 1958, along with photos and promotional material from the center’s early years. Our thanks to the chamber for sharing its archives.
AC Transit is holding this week’s board meeting in the council chamber at El Cerrito City Hall at 5 p.m. tonight, July 13.
Here is the announcement from the transit agency, including highlights of what is on the agenda.
The Alameda-Contra Costa Transit District (AC Transit) Board of Directors wishes to remind Alameda and Contra Costa County residents that the third in a series of traveling summer Board meetings will take place in El Cerrito tonight.
When: Wednesday, July 13
Time: 5:00 p.m.
Where: El Cerrito City Hall, 10890 San Pablo Avenue, El Cerrito, CA
Wednesday’s Board meeting will include a presentation by the Metropolitan Transportation Commission on the Core Capacity Transit Study, a multi-agency effort focused on increasing transit capacity to the San Francisco core. Other agenda items under consideration by the Board include:
· An agreement with the Alameda County Transportation Commission (ACTC) to administer the Affordable Student Transit Pass Pilot Program
· A report on transit supportive elements for city-sponsored ACTC Comprehensive Investments Plan Projects
· An update on Richmond’s Division 3 Rehabilitation Project
The board agenda is online at http://www.actransit.org/about-us/board-of-directors/board-memos/
A man was flown to John Muir Medical Center in Walnut Creek on Monday afternoon after he was assaulted and suffered a head injury on the BART Path near Fairmount Avenue around 5:25 p.m.
The man, who is about 60, “was initially treated by El Cerrito Fire Department paramedics and then transported to Cerrito Vista Park by AMR where the REACH air ambulance transported him to John Muir Medical Center in Walnut Creek,” according to El Cerrito Fire Department Battalion Chief Michael Pigoni.
No further details of the incident were immediately available.
The next showing in the Cerrito Classics presented by Friends of the Cerrito Theatre will be the 1975 comedy “Monty Python and the Holy Grail” at 9:30 p.m. July 14 at the Rialto Cinemas Cerrito, 10070 San Pablo Ave. in El Cerrito.
A comedic send-up of the grim circumstances of the Middle Ages as told through the story of King Arthur and framed by a modern-day murder investigation. When the mythical king of the Britons leads his knights on a quest for the Holy Grail, they face a wide array of horrors, including a persistent Black Knight, a three-headed giant, a cadre of shrubbery-challenged knights, the perilous Castle Anthrax, a killer rabbit, a house of virgins, and a handful of rude Frenchmen.
Details and advance tickets are available online.