D. Ross Cameron STAFF 9/17/06 Tribune News Local artist Tyler Hoare with his Sopwith Camel biplane sculpture at the Emeryville mud flats Sunday.
Berkeley artist Tyler Hoare will give a talk and show a selection of his sculptures at a free program at 4 p.m. Aug. 14 in the Fabrefaction Gallery at the Compound Gallery, 1145 and 1167 65 St. in Oakland.
Join us for an Artist Talk with Tyler on Sunday, August 14th at 4pm sharp. Snacks and libations will be served 3-6pm. The talk is free and open to the public.
The Compound Gallery is pleased to announce an exhibition featuring the work of the esteemed Emeryville mudflat artist, Tyler James Hoare. A collection of masks, sculptures, and historical documentation will be exhibited in our more intimate Fabrefaction Gallery located at 1145 65th st. Oakland, CA. This show is in conjunction with our show Laserbeam Technomania in our Main Gallery next door. Gallery Hours will be Wed-Sun 12-7pm (please go to our Main Gallery at 1167 for entry).
Missouri-born Hoare has been placing sculptures along the Emeryville and Berkeley shoreline for more than half his life. He moved to Berkeley in the 1960s, and was driving past the remains of a pier in 1975 when his artistic muse struck. –SFGate.com
b. 1940. Sculptor and printmaker, Born in Joplin Mo. attended the University of Colorado, the Sculpture Center in New York, the University of Kansas (BFA 1963), and CCAC. He assembled figures in often humorous combinations of found and tooled objects, primarily of wood, coupling a basically cubist style with overtones of Surrealism. Some of Hoare’s pieces occupied the anonymous, grassroots sculpture garden that began to flourish in the mid-1960’s on the mudflats of Emeryville. In the 1970’s he was one of the earliest Bay Area artists to experiment with color xerox as a medium for printmaking. -From Art in The San Francisco Bay Area 1945-1980 by Thomas Albright.
The Richmond Police Department invites the community to Chill with a Cop from 11am to 1pm Aug. 13 at the Community Green Space downtown at Harbour Way and Macdonald Avenue.
“No agenda, just a delicious scoop of free ice cream (while supplies last) and great conversation with your neighborhood beat officers.”
Beat officers will have crime prevention tips and there will even be free books to take home.
“Already have plans to go to the Rosie Rally? Do that first, then come downtown to celebrate, treat yourself, and Chill with a Cop,” say organizers.
Opening day ceremony at Oakland Oaks Ball Park in Emeryville during World War II.
The late Dick Dobbins, a Berkeley native and later a high school principal in Contra Costa who died in 1999, was among the foremost collectors and compilers of artifacts from the golden age of baseball’s Pacific Coast League from 1903 until the arrival of Major League Baseball on the West Coast in 1958.
Dobbins, then attending Berkeley High School, rescued records, trophies and other items of the Oakland Oaks after the team departed and its Emeryville ballpark was being torn down in 1956. It became a lifelong passion for Dobbins, and that love is carried on at an annual event named in his honor.
The 22nd annual Northern California Dick Dobbins PCL Player and Family Reunion will be held 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Aug. 20 at Ryan O’Connell Hall, 575 West Estudillo Ave. at San Leandro Boulevard in San Leandro.
The day always includes players and PCL enthusiasts and a program about the history of a league that was good enough that many considered it “the third major league” at its height.
Admission is $25 with lunch (RSVP by Aug. 15) or $8 without.
To reserve a seat send a check made out to PCLHS to PCLHS, 420 Robinson Circle, Placentia, CA 92870. Or call Mark Macrae at 510-538-6245 for more details.
Pitcher Charlie Gassaway of the Oakland Oaks.
El Cerrito High grad Ernie Broglio, who pitched for the Oakland Oaks before advancing to the major leagues, is one of the organizers of the annual PCL reunion.
Richmond became a city on Aug. 7 1905 and turns 111 today. Here are some images of the city’s early years and an Oakland Tribune account about the death of Richmond pioneer John Nicholl on July 29, 1914.
Here is a quick summation of Richmond’s early years from the city website:
Early Industry (1895-1901)
In 1895, Augustin S. Macdonald visited Point Richmond and conceived the idea of a transcontinental rail terminal and ferry service to provide a direct route from Richmond to San Francisco. Macdonald presented his idea to the Santa Fe Railroad and in 1899 the railroad established its western terminus in Point Richmond. The first overland passenger train arrived in Richmond from Chicago in 1900. In 1901, Santa Fe moved its shops to Richmond and the Standard Oil Company built its refinery.
Industrial Growth 1900-1940
When Richmond incorporated as a city in 1905 it had a population of 2,150 and was already an established industrial town. The city charter was adopted in 1909, and by 1910 the town numbered 7,500. Within a few years the following substantial industries locate to Richmond: Winehaven, Pullman Palace Car Shops, American Radiator, Standard Sanitary Company, Stauffer Chemical Company, and several others less well known. Town sites began to emerge around these industries, as Rancho San Pablo’s vast grain fields were subdivided into uniform city lots.
Point Richmond 1907.
Point Richmond 1907.
Warning after the 1906 earthquake.
Promotional real estate map.
Standard Oil refinery in 1912.
Early Richmond promotional brochures.
Read a first-hand account of the city’s early years by Henry Colman Cutting, who has a boulevard named in his honor, by clicking here.
Here, through the courtesy of the El Cerrito Chamber of Commerce, are views of the center’s dedication on July 9, 1958, along with photos and promotional material from the center’s early years. Our thanks to the chamber for sharing its archives.
The Cast of “Monty Python and the Holy Grail,” includes (from left) Eric Idle, John Cleese, Graham Chapman, Terry Jones and Michael Palin.
The next showing in the Cerrito Classics presented by Friends of the Cerrito Theatre will be the 1975 comedy “Monty Python and the Holy Grail” at 9:30 p.m. July 14 at the Rialto Cinemas Cerrito, 10070 San Pablo Ave. in El Cerrito.
A comedic send-up of the grim circumstances of the Middle Ages as told through the story of King Arthur and framed by a modern-day murder investigation. When the mythical king of the Britons leads his knights on a quest for the Holy Grail, they face a wide array of horrors, including a persistent Black Knight, a three-headed giant, a cadre of shrubbery-challenged knights, the perilous Castle Anthrax, a killer rabbit, a house of virgins, and a handful of rude Frenchmen.
Interstate 80 will be closed in both directions between Barrett Avenue in Richmond and San Pablo Dam Road in San Pablo from 11 p.m. June 18 to 7 a.m. June 19, the Contra Costa Transportation Authority is warning.
The closure allows work on the major project to upgrade the congested San Pablo Dam Road/I-80 interchange.
“These closures will enable crews to grade (properly adjust and align) falsework recently constructed for a new pedestrian overcrossing at Riverside Avenue, which will replace the current overcrossing.When complete, the new overcrossing will extend across Amador Street, enhancing safety for Riverside Elementary School students and the community.”
A map of local detour routes around the closed portion is below.
For more details call the project hotline at 510-277-0444 or visit http://ccta.net/SanPabloDamRoad. Construction updates will also be posted to Twitter at @i80spdr.